Tuesday 17 May 2011

Attracting a Mate


Today I found an article in Dolly magazine about how to talk to guys. Although there were a few things that made sense, like smiling when you're talking to him, I was kind of shocked at some of the other things that were said. Things like purposely taking a long time to reply to his text messages so you don't seem desperate, but do get mad at him if he doesn't reply to yours immediately. The part about contacting him on Facebook really made me laugh.

"Even though every part of you wants to go to his wall and be like 'OMFG, FB FRIENDS FTW' you need to step away from the computer. Liking his status is a good way to let him know you're thinking about him. But remember, there is a one like per month limit. You don't want him thinking you're a stalker."

...cool story.

Seriously, one like per month? There's actually a limit? Wait, do guys actually interpret you liking their status as a way of you thinking about them? Even if I do like a cute guy's status, it's probably because it's showed up in my news feed, and it was something I actually did like... I'm so confused.

So, let me put together my personal guide to talking to guys and maybe getting a date. Not that I'm very good at it myself.

1. Meet him. This is probably the hardest part. You're sitting there thinking, I don't know any guys. All the guys I know aren't attractive to me. Don't go on blind dates, but DO trust your friends to introduce you to their friends. Widen your social network. Leave your bedroom once in a while. Or you know, meet people on the internet.

2. Get his attention. Feel good about yourself. This is the most important rule. Confidence draws people in, there's no point trying to get his attention by talking down about yourself and looking for compliments. He's just going to get bored and annoyed and give up eventually. Try to make friends with him, smile (Dolly weren't wrong with that one), JUST TALK TO HIM. Another great thing to consider is letting him know you're single.

3. You have his attention, now what? Flirt, flirt, flirt, flirt, flirt.

4. Finding out if he's interested in you. If he's not interested in you, you'd probably notice by now. Unless he's tricky. I seem to never notice if a guy is interested in me. This means one of two things; I'm completely oblivious to these things, or it's pretty rare that a guy is interested in me, ha. One thing I've learnt, if he keeps sneaking glances at you and smiling, he's probably got a thing for you. If he actually tells you he's interested in you, that's a good sign too.

5. Getting a date. You like him, he likes you. Let's get this thing going. You are the girl, you have the power. I'm sure plenty of guys like an assertive girl. There's no harm in asking him on a date. If he asks you on a date, that's even better. When it comes to the date, be cute, keep smiling, make him feel special, and remember, be yourself, it sounds cliche but it's important. No guy wants a girl who's pretending to be someone she's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment